August 2013 to Present: Mobility Domain Architect, Southern California Edison (SCE), Irwindale, CA – Architect responsible for providing leadership with strategic and actionable guidance focusing on all areas of the mobile ecosystem. Perform technology watch functions keeping abreast of latest developments in the mobile ecosystem. Communicate with major stake holders, executives, and senior management regarding mobile capabilities, their maturity, and technical issues and risks. Work with operational and governance stakeholders, vendors, employees, third parties, and all levels of management to develop solutions that ensure stakeholder buy-in in the mobile ecosystem. Represent SCE’s mobility interests on the Utility Information Technology Benchmark (UNITE) group. Accountable for reference architectures associated with the mobile ecosystem.
- Increased “Bring your own Device” (BYOD) enrollment while changing company standard from BlackBerry to iPhone 5c
- Saved $400,000(projected) a year by moving company off Blackberry Enterprise Server
- Wrote Personal Computing Device Policy to address risks, audit findings, and increase BYOD enrollment
January 2010 to Present: Strategic Project Architect, SCE, Irwindale, CA –Technical team lead and single-point of contact for technical accountability on major programs from concept through completion. Responsible for providing business unit representatives input and feedback on technical feasibility of requested capabilities. Lead program team in making critical technology decisions. Planning and estimate the program’s technical work streams. Identify risks and issues with the programs solution, conceptual, and logical architectures, and design specifications in consultation with process subject matter experts, consultants, and systems integrators. Working with multiple consultants and systems integrators to ensure deliverables are built and meet specifications. Accountable for all findings related to the review and inspection of the as-built solution and their alignment to enterprise architecture standards. Provide technical guidance on program testing and post-launch consulting activities. Provide forward looking technical strategies and approaches on future plans and direction for the implemented platform using roadmaps taking into account long-term impacts to capabilities and processes. Provide input for the continuous improvement of the solution.
- Undercut third party vendor costs by 50% to implement SCE’s first iPhone and Android mobile app
- Reduced SCE.com redesign projects costs to under $1m from $13m using agile methodologies to focus customer demand
- Project Architect on SCE’s award winning Advanced Metering Infrastructure project responsible for Web Presentment
- Represent SCE’s digital/web interests on the UNITE group
- Represent SCE’s on the IBM Digital Experience Customer Advisory Council
- Represented SCE at NetWeaver Portal/BI Conference by speaking about SCE’s SOA integration practices
- Designed Edison International (EIX) level data center routing with stakeholders from Edison International companies and SCE
- Designed, developed, and deployed SAP solutions that allowed for the decommissioning of over 150 legacy business applications
January 2005 to January 2010: Practice Lead (Collaboration, Usability, NetWeaver/Portal, .NET), SCE, Irwindale, CA – Organize and lead architecture, engineering, and design communities of practices. Identify leading practitioners, provide them with a venue to share their experiences, learn from each other, and encourage them to collaborate outside of their day to day project and maintenance activities in order to achieve common outcomes. Validate existing knowledge and develop and document best practices. Provide a monthly forum to foster innovation that leads to the creation of new ideas. Present yearly to SCE’s architects, engineers, designers, developers, and their management on best practices. Act as a mentor and role model to practice members and company interns. Assist IT management in developing plans to acquire, train and retain high performing technical talent.
- Found Usability Community of Practice
- Developed and presented collaboration model focusing on measuring maturity, usage, and best practices to CIO
- Integrated Microsoft .NET, J2EE, and SAP Portal Coding Standards as NetWeaver/Portal CoP Lead
- Wrote encryption block for the SCE standard code base as member of SCE’s Microsoft .NET center of practice
September 2004 to June 2006: Lead Web Application Developer, SCE, Irwindale, CA – Lead technical resource serving as subject matter expert responsible for defining, designing, documenting, developing and maintaining SCE’s enterprise websites in collaboration with stakeholders from customer service, corporate communications, legal, public affairs, and regulatory groups. Interviewed, recommend, and mentored summer interns.
- Design and develop corporate intranet rebranding to align with upcoming SAP Portal organizational change management efforts
- Received awards from Web Marketing Association and The American Business Awards for work done on Edison.com website
- Represented SCE annually as judge in Cal Poly CIS ITC web design competition
April 1999 to December 2004: Founder of The One Ring.Com, Pasadena, CA – Founded and managed the most popular website dedicated to the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings. Coordinated with New Line Cinema marketing executives on the promotion of the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. Developed and sold content management system with features that included community based article, multimedia, quotes, links, events, marketplace, profile, forums, social network, and syndication management.
- Recognized in leading periodicals such as Los Angeles Times, CNN, and The Guardian UK
- Interviewed and featured in Wired Magazine September 2001 Issue
- Ranked as a top 10,000 website by Alexa
February 1995 to May 1999: Director of Technical Services, The Dohring Company, Glendale, CA – Lead a team of managers responsible for the creation customer and competitor customer market research studies, surveys, and call center operations. Improve market research reports using feedback from Quality and Sales Directors. Coordinate communications between Sales and Quality departments as it relates to product reliability and accuracy. Forecast financial outlook and customer demand using data from operations and report to company executives weekly. Ensure continuous improvements and cost reduction of all processes in report writing, survey generation, and improve call efficiency and quality. Develop long-term vision for technical services department. Create new product offerings. Collaborate with Director of Quality to ensuring customer satisfaction and the delivery of a quality product. Work daily with founder and CEO. Report to senior executives.
- Successfully lead company upgrade from Microsoft Word for DOS 5.1 to Windows 95 and Microsoft Office 95
- Developed new product/ market research report integrating geospatial data with survey results using Microsoft Word and MapInfo
- Increased overall productivity by 24% without increasing staff by focusing on processes improvements, training, and software tools